A bunion is a bony swelling that commonly huts out of the side of the big toe. Several factors can make a person more vulnerable to developing them and Health One Pharmacy — a licensed Retail Pharmacy in The Colony, Texas — are here to discuss a couple of them along with several common symptoms.
What Causes Bunion Formation?
Bunion formation can be caused by the following:
- Flat feet or low arches
- Narrow footwear
- Foot injury or trauma
- Inflammatory arthritis of the foot
- Genetic disorders e.g., Ehlers-Danios syndrome or down syndrome)
- Neuromuscular conditions
What are Common Bunion Symptoms?
Bunion symptoms usually develop over time. Watch out for the following:
- Soreness or a burning sensation over the bunion
- Redness, stiffness, and swelling around the big toe
- Hammertoes or calluses under the ball of the foot
- Corns or other skin irritations where the first and second toes overlap